Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trust

I’ve been thinking about this word a lot lately. Reflecting on its meaning as well as reminiscing about the ways in which I have earned trust, broken trust and had my trust in someone shattered. Trust is such a precious commodity that it should be guarded, protected and valued above all else in any relationship.

Trust issues seem to be prevalent in many relationships especially pertaining to the ones romantic in nature between spouses and significant others. Trust is something that until it is lost can be taken for granted, but once lost it’s the hardest thing in the world to find again. Trust unscathed is one of the most beautiful and priceless gifts we can offer one another. Trust says, “I have your best interest in mind; I am looking out for your heart; I value you; I honor you.” And so much more. It’s one of those rare and highly valuable gifts we are able to give and receive at will. We always have a choice whether or not we trust and whether or not we are trustworthy.

Webster’s Dictionary offers a few definitions of the word trust:

1. assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something b: one in which confidence is placed2 a: dependence on something future or contingent
2. a charge or duty imposed in faith or confidence or as a condition of some relationship (2): something committed or entrusted to one to be used or cared for in the interest of another

Definition number 2 got my attention with the words, “in faith”. This implies that there is an act of willful belief in someone prior to adequate evidence shown of their trustworthiness.

Trust is both an emotional and logical act. Emotionally, it is where you expose your vulnerabilities to people, believing they will not take advantage of your openness. Logically, it is where you have assessed the probabilities of gain and loss, calculating expected value based on hard performance data, and concluded that the person in question will behave in an honorable manner.

In practice, trust is a bit of both. I trust someone because I have experienced their trustworthiness and because I have faith in them. For me, the desire to trust implicitly is a desire I cannot control. Its existence is intrinsic and I’m fine with that for the most part; it’s the times where I want to exercise this trust however I am not completely convinced beforehand that the exertion will pay off. This is where the risk comes in. This isn’t entirely new for me in my life; however having the actual pay off is a foreign concept in many ways. I pray this is redefined for me in the future. I look forward to it actually. In the meantime, my assignment in regards to trust is to trust the One that has NEVER let me down. My Savior, Jesus Christ. And His words are comforting to me. He says,

Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you. Ps.9:10

But I trust in your unfailing love. Ps. 13:5

In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. Ps. 22:4

And there are so many more!!

I’m confident He’ll teach me how to trust and be trust worthy as this is part of the firm foundation I know is rightfully mine for the taking.

And as I exercise my trust in this way, I am able to ward off the seeming impediment of skepticism that desires to “logically” piggy back on my personal experiences of broken trust. BUT awareness is power!

Thoughts??

2 comments:

  1. good stuff, Jess. Glad your blogging again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the answer to your quest is in the middle of your blog "to trust the One that has NEVER let me down". Christ never commands or even suggests we trust man....any man or woman. He commands us to Love, paul says to love and to forgive one another(much easier said than done) its why we must trust onl Him and rely only on Him. I'm so glad you wrote this, I never read blogs, the one time I read it and it speaks right to my heart. Its a lesson I got slapped with just yesterday, wow God's timing is almost spooky, to put it more reverently....perfect. Thanks for sharing, keep seeking, and encouraging others to do so. Brother Danny

    ReplyDelete